Monday, July 19, 2010

Home grown adventures.


Benzen loves to get outside. We try and get out every day and explore our surroundings. Because it's winter it also means we need to gather twigs to start our fire. We walk down our drive to check the mail and pick up sticks. A must is to inspect the oranges. Benny relishes his oranges. I like that he knows where oranges come from and can even pick his own. He still occasionally eats the skin as he learns to peel a mandarin himself. Most of the time as we head to go out to the car to run an errand he'll head down the hill to get himself an orange. Sometimes I wonder if he's eating too many oranges but as long as they are in season how can I say no.


We also have lemon and grapefruit trees that bear fruit. A couple of years ago Colin was given a guava tree from my Grandma and a cherry tree from my parents. This year I gave him a blueberry bush. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they take off and we get some fruit.

Last summer I had a small vegie patch and I think I'll plant some more this year. I've seen a great planters box that used corrugated iron on the sides and since we have some lying around on our property I'm rather tempted to give it a go. I'll post some pictures if that eventuates!

No comments: